9.25.2014

This and that and so much more...

hello.

Sorry for the extended absence.  It's been crazy around here.  Travis started turnaround schedule, and having a resident vampire among us has been an adjustment to say the least.  75 nights straight of working sounds daunting, and in reality it is, but we are adjusting.  I am cooking a lot so that he has hot homecooked meals to take each night, and the kids are adjusting to moving quietly through the house during the day.  We spend a lot of time reading, studying and quietly talking.  It's actually kind of nice in an Anne Frank kind of way.

Doctor appointments are the bulk of my week- they are ruling out any heart issues, and now the focus is on my lungs.  That makes sense to me since I grew up with a dad who smoked, and am an asthmatic who has taken more than her fair share of Albuterol.  I have scar tissue on my lungs and there may be something else going on.  We shall see.

I've been tweaking the house a bit, moving things around, editing down more, and rethinking rooms- especially Sara's.  It is not quite as functional as I'd like it to be, and there are some things that need to be cleared out still.  I'm going to work on that this weekend.

Still waiting on the bedskirt and sham...


Homeschooling is chugging along- I love our structured classes through CLA, but also our more relaxed style of learning at home.  Hunter is a changed kid because of it.  I know in my heart that we saved him when we pulled him out of public school.

Voluntarily reading Animal Farm on a Sunday morning...

Impromptu math lesson before dad leaves for work...
One of the joys of older homes is older plumbing.  We had already had issues with the French drain that runs to the storm sewer, and last week we had a MAJOR block under the house back up into the house.  Yeah, good times are had by all when sewer water starts pouring up through the toilet and into your home and over your newly installed hardwood floors.  (Notice please that ALL bad things happen at night while your husband is on shift...)


He griped, but I know that secretly he was having fun.  Boys and mud...
Anne has started her cosmetology program and is as happy as a clam at high tide.  This is her niche, her passion- her THING...

Up do entered into a contest with signature eye liner, nose ring and blue lips...


Could not be more proud of this girl...
Travis managed to squeeze in a few small projects before his crazy schedule kicked in.  Hunter's room needed shelves, and I wanted something with a bit of an industrial feel.  Plumbing bits and old weathered/stained wood did the trick...


Next up was the little coat closet next to the kitchen.  This is Texas, most of us don't even own a coat, so this closet was fitted out with shelves so that I could store the small appliances and cookbooks...


We also managed to get our flag hung.  This flag belonged to my Grandpa Myers and it is very special to me...


The kid's bathroom roman shades finally came in.  They have a top down/bottom up feature that is perfect for a room that needs light, but requires privacy...

JCP Roman shades...
This tv console was found on Etsy from aTICOfurniture and we love the piece.  It is just the right mix of industrial with the warmth of stained wood.


Lea, from Elegant Remodeling and Design, was the lovely lady who helped us tweak the design and order our kitchen cabinets.  She did such a fantastic job of listening to my vision and adding her know how so that we didn't end up with a kitchen that didn't have a trash bin pullout!   Last week she showed up to photograph our kitchen and brought me this lovely vintage lunch pail...


Perfect as our new/old breadbox!

I lived without a rug in the living room for about a week.  I just couldn't do it.  It needed something to anchor the room, and that coffee table clanks LOUDLY when anyone hits it.  Table needed a muffler...

So enter the Dash & Albert rug Tattersol in black.  I am loving the lodgy feel of this room and the pattern is one of my all time favourites...



I always design around my dogs...
Well, that's about it for me.  I am teaching today- so I am off to enlighten and engage young learners.  Follow me on Instagram if you want to keep up with my day to day doings.  Finding the time to sit down and blog is becoming a bit more difficult.

Love, kisses, and paw prints...

6 comments:

  1. I love your style of decorating. Please don't quit blogging. I don't do insta gram yet.
    So glad that home schooling is helping your son. I would probably do the same right now. With all the lockdowns, threats on bathroom walls, bullies.......it's just scary. After just posting a funny thing at school, I do take these things seriously.
    I am so sorry that you are having to go through all the testing but hopefully it will find and correct what's wrong. I was hospitalized two times and had every heart test done, even a heart cath. I was having chest pains and jaw pain at the same time. It happens that it is pain from the esophagus and it hurts like a heart attack. Sometimes it lasts an hour. All the time I am wondering if a trip to the ER should be made. From my own diagnosis, it seems like a bubble of air gets trapped. I know, weird. If I walk and walk or drink a soda sometimes it will make me burp. Oh how I wish I could force a burp like men do. I should mention that I and my son have Celiac. Our family has a history of choking.....forget the actually diagnosis. Anyhow.....keep searching til you find out what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited when I saw your post. I have missed reading your blog but totally understand that life sometimes gets in the way. So sorry you are having health issues. That can be scary and irritating at the same time. I love how your new house is turning out. It looks so comfy and cozy. Love the plaid rug. Glad you were able to take a break and give us an updated. Praying you get answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the updates in your home. hope you get some definitive answers soon as to your heart/lungs.

    blessings,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia ~ I really love your rug. I have a couple Dash and Albert rugs and I think they're great. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm slow at reading but I hope you don't quit blogging entirely. Just blog when you can but I understand if you do. Life and Family is more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I'm still here and things seem to be calming down. More time for blogging!

      Delete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia