1.21.2010

The Reader's Notebook




This is the workshop that I attended on Monday- the one that while I sat there listening the heavens opened up, angels wept- and I tried not to throw my hands in the air and shout "YES,YES,YES!"

I've been teaching using Reader's and Writer's Workshop for three years now, and this is the first explanation of how to use the Reader's notebook effectively that I have seen.

What did I do after the workshop? After taking Hunter to Occupational therapy- I ran home to work on my very own Reader's Notebook.

The notebook is divided up into four sections: "My Reading Life"- which shows my reading time-line, books that shaped who I am as a reader, the last ten books I have read and what that says about me as a reader, book recommendations, book list, WHY I read, and my favorite section that answers three questions:
I'm the kind of reader who...
I want to be the kind of reader who...
My reading goals...

The second section is called "What I am learning". I posted a picture of the mini-lesson charts that I recreated onto index cards to keep in my notebook. I do not expect my students to do this, so after each lesson I will type up what is on our chart and then give it to them to put into their notebook.

The third section is called "Read Alouds". This is where we put our post-it notes during the time where I am reading to the kids. If I am doing a lesson on character development and I am reading the book Albert, the kids would be listening, then I stop and ask them to jot down a word that describes the character. I may ask them to stop and jot what is going on in the story. Later we can "write long" off of those thoughts about the character and how he changed over the course of the story.

The final section is called "Independent Reading". This section is for putting all of those great text to self, text to text, text to world connections, synthesizing post-its, questioning post its, determining importance, etc. Then there is a page titled: My smartest post-it. I might ask that they choose their smartest post it that best shows their thinking about their reading and then talk to them about it during our reading conference.

So there you have it- the Reader's Notebook, angels and all!

27 comments:

  1. oooooh.... now how far back can I remember books I read.... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany- The kids are bringing in new composition books so that they can have a new and improved Reader's Notebook- they are so excited!!

    Noonie- I love how this gives students ownership and identity as a reader. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I wish I'd had a teacher with your charisma & enthusiasm! ...think I'll read a book this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check your email. They've made a pill to curb this type of enthusiasm. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Brighton!!! Your enthusiasm is infectious! I am going to email a link to your page to a friend of mine who reminds me of you...Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat! Not sure what the last book I read says about me, but it was mind candy after a semester of textbooks.

    Your students are going to get a lot out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great workshop. What was it called exactly? I love it when they are user friendly and inspiring.

    Just finished re-reading The Daily Five. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacey- It was "the reader's notebook" and it is based from 2chicks and a reader's notebook. We use Lucy Calkins and Ralph Fletcher, along with some other great resources like Strategies that Work and Fontas and Pinnell's Guiding Readers and Writers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guilt rushing over me. Was it my comments on the previous posts the reason you deleted them? I pray not! I'm sorry if it was!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammom- No! I was just doing a bit of censoring in case certain someones were reading ; ) I totally appreciate your comments- keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing! I was wondering if the presenters gave any advice/tips on how often students should write in their notebooks. Or if *you* have any advice? Thanks again for the great post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this a lot, but where is the letters? Is there a letter writing section or would you do that outside of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Viv- We use & write in our notebooks every day. We have a section for "What I'm Learning" which they bring down to the carpet for mini-lessons. Then the notebook is with them during independent reading time to take think notes, or to stop and sketch.

    Caroline- Our letters are now on line. I created a blog titled "Digital Diaries" that way the communication is not limited to just me. We now quadblog in our classroom : o )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much Tricia! So are you doing the Fountas and Pinell letters each week?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Viv, No, because I found them to be lacking in authenticity. Our writing seems more "real" to me this year. My class blog is over at mrsgoins.blogspot.com if you want to check it out : o )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love the reader's notebook you created. I have tried a Google search but have no other references to this workshop. Do you have any additional information about it?
    THANK YOU!!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy- It's pretty much from Two Chics and a reader's Notebook....If you go to my class blog over at mrsgoins.blogspot.com I have more examples of what we do with reading & writing : o )

    ReplyDelete
  18. FORGET the kids! I wanna make MY OWN timeline of books I'm reading~LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandi- I have to admit, that was my favourite part!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great ideas and tips! I love sectioning off the notebook! It creates a very simple way for my readers to store all of their year-long adventures of reading! Thank you so much for sharing! I am definitely joining your blog!

    Hugs from Georgia,
    HeiDee Bieber

    ReplyDelete
  21. HeiDee- Thank you so much! I am going to try and add more over the summer. you can also check out my classroom blog at mrsgoins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for this information. I am in the process of training teachers in reading and writing workshops. One of the most common questions is how do we keep track of what they are doing? I have always used notebooks, but am researching how others use them. GREAT information.

    Thanks
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  23. Antoinette- Keeping track is where one to one conferencing plays a huge role. I also use peer conferencing in my workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How long is your reading block... and then your math block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorri- I quit teaching after last year. Only lasted four years in the public school system! Our math block was 90 minutes, and reading and writing went from 8:50-12:00 for me. We had a lot of flexibility in our time since we were self contained. Some days ran longer, some shorter- I would adjust based on what my students needed. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  25. How long is your reading block?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia