1.08.2010

Another Guest Post and Finding "Boo Radley"

Carolyn again..
Tricia asked to me to do a few more posts since she is terribly busy being
Super Mom to the 4 greatest kids EVER & the world’s cutest doxie, Super Teacher, Super Wife, Super Home Decorator Extraordinare, Etc…I get exhausted just thinking about everything she does!
I spent most of yesterday evening walking around the house trying to figure out what to post about. Our latest project, The Headboard Bench, My new found love for Dollar Tree & Thrift Stores…
Nothing seemed to be interesting enough to write about. Then, in true Carolyn fashion, I had myself a little pity party. I decided I hated my house & everything in it and I wouldn’t be happy ever EVER again…I think this one was more of a Pity-Gala!

I went to sleep. I woke up – still partying hard.

I did what I do every morning and got my coffee and settled in to read my favorite blogs. Of course my first stop each morning is Brighton Cottage...Then on to The Lettered Cottage, Just A Girl, Southern Hospitality, The Shabby Nest...The list goes on and on.

Last week, Layla at TLC ran down a list of her favorite blog posts of 2009 and one of them was from a lovely blog called Aura Joon. I have been hooked ever since.

Have you ever read something that made so much sense it actually changed you? Made you have an "epiphany moment"? Today was mine (the post was dated Jan. 7). If you haven’t visited her blog yet, you should, really. She is an incredibly talented writer and the photography is fabulous. She reminds me of a lot of Layla.

Now I’m not sure she meant for this particular post to be all life changing for those who read it and maybe it was just my time to ascend from the dank depths of self loathing & depression. Whatever the case, this post made me stop. and think.

2009 was a bad year. A year I will not soon forget.

Late in 2008, we designed & built our house. A big beautiful Mediterranean inspired physical and metaphorical"blank slate". We built it with 1 thing in mind - Resale. Since we are, or rather were, in the building industry, we were able to build it for less than half of its market value. The plan is, in a few years, when we sell it, we can pay cash for a much smaller house and NO MORE MORTGAGE! Woo-Hoo!
That was the plan.

No sooner did we move in and the housing market TANKED. The homebuilder that John & I worked for started having cash flow issues and paychecks started coming slower and slower. Then in June, the builder went belly up and we were both suddenly unemployed. We did OK for the first few months, living off of savings & unemployment benefits but now, things are tight...like skinny jeans 2 sizes too small tight.

In August, my grandmother passed away. She had been ill for some years but that certainly did not soften the blow of losing her.

In November, we had to put our sweet 14 year old Lab-Mix to sleep. I still have not fully dealt with that one emotionally.

So like I said, 2009…BAD. Pity-parties…FREQUENT.

I had become so consumed with all of the “things” we could no longer afford that I failed to see the things I had been afforded.

We are unemployed…but...we have spent every day together for the past 6 months and I have learned that even after all these years, he makes me laugh, he is still my very best friend.
We are broke…but…I have learned to be more creative, learned to make due. Found Dollar Tree & Resale Shops.
My grandma died…but...I have been able to spend time with my grandfather, really getting to know him. AND I have grown close my fabulous cousin (Tricia) and her AMAZING family.
My dog died…but…I had 14 wonderful years with the most incredible, loving companion and my memories of those years will never die.

(Wow, will you look at that, I have been living in a country song for the past year)

Somehow, reading about Aura’s little muslin mouse made me realize that I had lost myself in 2009 and all of its bad-ness. I had let the things I don’t have consume me and forgotten all that I DO have.

I breathed. Really. Really breathed for the first time in almost a year.

I realized that maybe 2009 was not so bad after all. I decided that I would MAKE 2010 great no matter what it throws at me. And I will!

I will no longer wallow in the pool of self-pity no matter how comfortable and warm the water seems.
I will finally start the blog I have been talking about forever. (Tricia is letting me “get my feet wet” over here at “BC”)
I will finally open that Etsy Shop Tricia has been urging me to open
I will see the good in everyone before I look for the bad (something my grandmother lived by)
I will greet each day with a smile and see opportunity in it.
I will tell my husband how much I appreciate him EVERY day.
I will LIVE my life instead of just BEING in it.
I will find my own “Boo Radley” – and I will hold myself accountable for these promises

Crazy how a little thing like a blog story about muslin mouse can pretty much change your outlook on life. I know I was ready to stop feeling sorry for myself, I just need a nudge in the right direction. Thank you Tricia. Thank you Layla and Thank you Aura!

OK…enough of that…

If I haven’t completely bored you to tears yet, I figured I would throw in some eye candy relating to my new found love for Dollar Tree. I have always gone to Dollar Tree for "Movie Night" candy & Gift Bags but recently, I perused the other aisles and look what I found:


Oooh...I need to add something to the above list..I will work on my photography skills :)








Well, there you have it..My 2010 epiphany (better 9 days late than never) and some really cool stuff for only a buck. I know everyone (me included) is dying to know what is going on at Brighton Cottage…how are the kids? Has the house sold? How is Dr. Sister? What yummy treats did your mom make this week?...
I am going to beg Tricia to give us an update soon!
I hope you all have a fabulous weekend & if you need it, may you find a "Boo Radley" of your own!
-Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. Please tell Carolyn to start a blog!!! Would love to see more photos of her house and more dollar store decorating ideas.

    Tricia-- hurry back!

    Robyn
    mysoutherncottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this sweet post, Carolyn! I'm so glad little Boo seems to have this type of affect on someone out there other than me. I hope this year turns out wonderful for you, and from the sound of your outlook this year, I'm sure it will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn- Hoping to post at some point this weekend, just so silly busy! I really want to see the book wreath tutorial...

    Aura- Isn't it amazing that you can sit down and emotionally purge and then it can have such an effect on someone else? I loved your post, and I loved Carolyn's post that was inspired by you.

    Carolyn- Thank you for putting it out there : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate 2009 was the worst year ever. I'm still wallowing....doing my best to move on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia