6.10.2012

Presenting...

I am presenting at the TCEA conference in Galveston on Monday and Tuesday.  My topic is quadblogging and digital diaries to raise the quality of writing in the classroom.  This is a topic that I am passionate about.  Teaching writing is my love, and I enjoy seeing kids engaged in their writing in a meaningful way.  One of the problems that I have seen with how we traditionally publish student's writing is that they are not really writing for an authentic audience.  Publishing to the outside-your-door-bulletin-board is not very exciting for a writer.  Publishing digitally and allowing children and other teachers from all over the world to read and comment on their writing is both exciting and fun!

I got involved with quadblogging in January of last year.  David Mitchell from England is the founder of quadblogging.  When I stumbled upon it last year I knew it was something I wanted to try, so I signed us up.  We were given a quadblog coordinator, Laura Gee, also from England.  We blogged with two schools in England and one in France.   My kids were excited to come in each day and visit the focus school for that week and get straight to working on their own writing and commenting on writing.  I gave lessons on netiquette and what makes a comment "thoughtful".  We worked on editing and peer editing during our blog time so that our comments would represent the best that 3rd grade could show.
The unexpected side effects of quadblogging and digitally publishing our writing was that my students wanted to write more and I found it was easy to incorporate other learning objectives along the way.   When we were learning about elapsed time our sidebar time widgets for England and France became the perfect vehicle for authentic teaching.  My students wanted to know where their friends in England were and what they were doing at various times during our day.  Teaching geography was a snap because of our flag counter.  The kids would see where visitors were coming from and then run to the large world map to determine how far away they were.  Mini-lessons on writing felt more purposeful in that my students were actually invested in their audience and motivated to improve their skills to make their stories more interested for their audience.




My outside the door bulletin board was empty most of the school year, but I didn't care-  It was evident on the web that my kids were true writers.
If you want to learn more about quadblogging go here.  To see our class digital diaries go here.   Any questions, just leave a comment and I will be happy to answer : O )

6 comments:

  1. How very neat! I love the way you make learning a holistic process instead of a subject by subject process. I bet your kids get more out of it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vince! They really do get a lot out of our blogging time. So easy to incorporate other subjects into it : o )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    It's great to see and read your reflections here!!

    Keep spreading the Quadblogging love.

    David Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  4. David- Thank you so much! I am a huge fan : o )

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky these young men are to have this opportunity to participate in such a great class. Author Michael Gurian has written many books dealing with the differences in learning for boys and girls. We chose to send our son to an all boys school for high school for these reasons. Love your teaching methods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerri- Thank you so much! I will be sure to check out Michael Gurian. I am always interested in learning more about the differences in learning for boys and girls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia