11.21.2013

A merry little Christmas...


Via
We have never been the type of family to go overboard on Christmas.  We set aside a certain amount of money and we only give our kids two or three gifts.  Stockings are filled with the necessities- toothpaste, brushes, deodorant, hair products, and yes, even underwear.   I do put an orange in the toe of the stocking.  My kids thought it was some German Christmas tradition, but no, I like the toes to look rounded when the stockings are stuffed.  Aesthetics win.

One gift I always give my children is a new book.  It counts as one of their presents, so that leaves a toy or other wanted item for their second gift.  The other thing we do is clean through closets and toy chests in November to gather up toys that are in good shape, but maybe not played with as much any more, that they can donate to the women's and children's shelter in our area.  Over the years I have watched as my kids even let go of toys they still loved all because they knew some other kid had nothing.

We also give the gift of food.  Baked items for neighbors is a fun way to pass on some Christmas cheer as well as reconnect with people that we don't see often despite living so close.

Over the next few weeks I will share with you some of the gifts we give and how I stay on a tight budget for the holidays.  Because really this season is more about family and together time, not retail and acquiring more stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to reading your next few posts, too. You are on the right track. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia