I adore shutters on a home. Maybe it's my Southern roots, but they just add charm to any cottage or castle.
However, I never felt as if our shutters fit the style of our cottage. Also, they were builder grade cheap, cheap, cheap and kind of did this wonky bowing thing in the middle.
So this weekend we decided to fix all that...because I am beyond blessed to have a handy husband who doesn't think twice when I casually ask, "Hey, would it be a super big project deal to make some new shutters for the front of the cottage, because I really need something new to put up on the blog and I hate the shutters we have?" Nope, he doesn't even blink at long run on sentences like that.
He just replies with, "Sure, I'll head to the hardware store now." Some girls get roses- I prefer the sight of this:
|Bonus- it doesn't dry up and die in a vase!|
So being the magic handy man he is, he set to work on constructing some new/old rustic style shutters.
We started with some planks of wood measuring 1x6x72
Then we cut it down to 1x4
We then positioned the wood planks how we wanted them to look finished. Three planks was the most width we could accommodate with the space we have. We added three horizontal planks to go across the shutter. We added a small space in between each piece to allow for swelling/shrinkage and give it more of a rustic look.
Then came the measuring, wood gluing and nail gunning...we evenly spaced the three horizontal pieces across the shutter.
Finally, it was my turn to do my paining thing...
|Sherwin Williams Iron Ore...|
Much happier with the overall look, and a huge thank you to my very favourite handy-man ;)