9.09.2012

Once more into the milk paint...

Y'all know I can't leave good and well alone.

This goes for furniture I've painted.  Recently even.

Yesterday I decided to break out my brand new box of Miss.Mustard Seed's milk paint.

Can I just say....yum.

I started out with the watchmaker's cabinet that I just painted a few weeks ago:



I liked it the colour it was.  Coco in chalk paint with a coat of Slate milk paint underneath....

But I didn't love it.

Until now....









This paint requires two coats.  It is very watery to work with if you follow the manufacturers mixing ratio instructions.  The first coat will look like a drippy hot mess, but the second coat goes on well and fills in the shady parts.

Then the milk paint starts to do it's thing and lifts in a few places.

I let it dry thoroughly, then went over it using a putty knife to lightly flake of some bits and pieces.

Then I did a clear coat of wax over the entire piece.

The colour is called Ironstone and you can order your own milk paint at Miss.Mustard Seed's Milk Paint
It reads a bit blue-ish in my pictures, but in real life it is an ironstone white more like this:




Happy Painting!















Mod Vintage Life

Homespun Happenings










Perfectly Imperfect

8 comments:

  1. Tricia,
    LOVE all the chippiness of that cabinet! Looks perfectly vintage!
    ~~~~LOVE~~~~
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cabinet turned out so Chippy & Beautiful!!! I've painted with milk paint but haven't tried Miss Mustard Seed's YET! You did a great job, I love it! Hopped over from Wow Us Wednesday and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy @ www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it with the milk paint!!! Did you sand it down to the natural wood? It looks like it has wood showing through it. Love IT!!! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how this turned out! I've never worked with milk paint, but I've been thinking about trying it. I would love to invite you to share this at Modern Cottage Mondays at Curate by Carrie Corson. The party starts tomorrow morning. Http://www.curatebycarriecorson.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia