12.29.2010

telephone...






It was my dad's idea to get Sara a cell phone for Christmas. He kept mentioning it throughout the year, and I kept ignoring it throughout the year. I guess I thought she would lose it, break it, show no interest in it....or call China for a month before we got the bill. In short, I underestimated her and how important a phone would be to her.
She loves it, and by loves it I mean that she has her charger in her room and dutifully plugs that phone in each night before she goes to sleep. She has been gone the past two days with one of her teachers to the movies, eating, light viewing- and each time she leaves a place she calls me just to "check in" and let me know where they are headed to next.
Sara has asked for a phone for a few years now. The asking stopped when she realized that I wasn't jumping up to get her one. I feel bad about that now. She was letting me know it mattered to her and I ignored it. On this one my dad was right and I was wrong.
Thank you Dad for giving her the best gift this year- another step toward independence.

6 comments:

  1. No- just calling. But it's so cute! She calls me when she's out to tell me what store she's leaving or where she's off to next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! :) My gf teaches high school special ed and I occasionally drop in her class with cupcakes and what not for the kids.

    What I have learned from her kids is that regardless of what special circumstances are going on, they are still high school teenagers and some things (like wanting phones, purses, etc) simply transend their other issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. alludination- You are so right. Sometimes as a mom I forget this. It's the little things : o ) BTW...lucky girl to have someone like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big believer in kids having cell phones. It's awesome to be able to track them down anytime, anywhere. Plus, when they start actin' a fool, that's the first thing you ground them from. It's worse than losing their right arm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MC- You are so right about that! "Give me your phone" is the scariest thing they can imagine ; o )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia