3.03.2010

Selections...



We spent over four hours at the new home design center today. I really thought we would zip through like the McDonald's drive through and call it good.

I. Was. So. Wrong.

There is no "zipping" involved with this process. I think our design consultant, Miss.A was thrilled that we were two individuals who had a pretty good idea of what we wanted and that we didn't go into a reenactment of a Divorce Court episode in the process. Because from what I've heard people actually do that.

Some of the selections/options were hysterical in my opinion. For example:

A toe/water/shower tester thingy. So not kidding here. They make a little hole, about toe sized, for you to test the temperature of the water before you get into the shower. Hi, Lazy.

A entry lock that is finger print activated. All I could think of was Get Smart and the shoe phone. Maxwell, are you in there??

A 3,200 sink. Yes, it was a farmhouse sink, but all I could only think of it as the most expensive dog bathtub EVER.

Expensive light fixture package from Housewives of NJ. Oh my Gawd gaudy.

Oh, we also found out that wood floors burn. As per our wood contract. Really. It's kind of like a to go coffee cup that says "Contents HOT". Duh. Because I'm sure by the end of the week I would have burned down the house and scalded my crotch without the intervention of a written warning.

Hand scraped wood floors. One word: Saloon. No, two words: OK corral.

Did you know there were 5-6 levels of granite? A bit like the many levels of hell, only sparkly. Miss.A plucked one out and presto! it looked perfect with our choices. Those are mad skills because they all looked alike to me, and until she picked one I was thinking plywood was a good countertop option.

Travis is exhausted from the whole event. I felt happy and totally in my element. Loved all the choices, loved all the colours, loved all the possibilities. I would have been content to keep picking colour combinations and decorate a few more houses.

So now we are in the countdown to closing. 23 days to go.

Stay tuned- I'm sure once we move into mom & dad's house the fun will really begin!

PS- And to Miss.A- thank you for making our selection process such a fun experience : )

PPS- Also, found these on Overstock.com for $100 for two!! I'm going to use them in the kitchen at the island. Score!

6 comments:

  1. Choices, choices, choices makes Brighton a very happy girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love those floors! Everything works so great together! Love the glazed cabinets...Fabulous! But really, was there ever any doubt? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jammie J- I do love choices : )

    Carolyn- Thanks, it was fun putting all of it together. I could see where someone could be overwhelmed by it all though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help!!! I need your expert advice on something. We just put down a new laminate wood floor in the dining room made by Swiftlock Plus. It looks great, but it was a pain to install. What's your suggestion for something that's semi-easy to lay down and actually stays put?

    Sorry to piggyback on your blog here, but the reviews on Home Depot and Lowe's websites aren't very helpful.

    Oh yeah, I almost forgot, LOVE what you picked out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MC- Astroturf. No, actually the glue down is easier in my opinion. We went with wood- solid and durable. You could check out cork flooring. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad things went well. I remember oh so many years ago picking out and making what I thought were life altering decisions.......

    PS I want those bar stools!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia