3.07.2015

Keeping busy...

This strike time has been interesting to say the least.  I have been given a glimpse into what life may look like when Travis retires, and all I can say is that we are going to need a Reader's Digest sized calender and a clock.  We go to bed when we are tired and wake up when the light comes into our room each morning.  We yawn, kiss good morning and then inevitably one of us asks the other what day/date it is.  It's very surreal not living on a real work schedule.  It's also weird not keeping track of what time it is as the day goes on.  We eat when we are hungry, not when our "lunch" time is, and the result is that we have both lost weight.

Travis and I are keeping busy with a steady stream of handyman and woodworking projects.  I do the design consult/painting and then Travis does his woodworking magic.  It's not our usual paycheck, but it's enough for us to get by.  We are very lucky to have some skills to fall back on, not everyone affected by this strike can say the same.

This is one of our neighbor's kitchens- they had a HUGE microwave over the stove, but wanted a shelf for spices...

Painted this piece for a client in ASCP Coco...

Client piece painted in ASCP Paris Grey and Graphite...

Stair rails in ASCP Graphite- I love these painted!
 Travis is also working on our laundry room build.  He finished up all of the trim this morning, so now it's time to pooky, sand and paint...



It is nice having Travis around to work on math with Hunter.  He is neck deep into fractions and Travis is using his woodworking projects to let Hunter use his fraction knowledge in a real life way...


We live in home improvement stores...

Hunter is doing okay- if he's worried about his upcoming GI tests he doesn't let on.  He will turn 14 next Thursday and I keep thinking that at any moment he will outgrow the "I love you mom"'s and the "Your the best mom ever"'s, but he's not.  This guy is such a love bug...


 Gets it from his dad...


Yes, that is a five week strike beard.  I am married to a mountain man.  Or a Yeti...

This is one of his best friends, Dustin.  Also sporting the strike beard...


My older sister, Beverly, and her husband Mike came down from NJ to visit.   They brought their 7 month old puppy, Millie.  I fell in love with that dog on my last trip to NJ.  She is such a sweet heart...


We also had a lengthy discussion about the science behind this dress...


I'm kidding.  We all pretty much agreed it was ugly.


SO proud of our Anne, she was hired on by a high end salon and is headed to State Cosmetology competition at the end of the month.  Goal driven and very passionate about what she does...


So that has been our past few weeks.  Staying busy and trying to stay positive.  It is so true about the "when it rains it pours" saying.  My bank account was hacked into and Travis' truck is having issues- but we are going to be okay.  The sun is going to peek out soon and we will be better for it.


Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Bless your heart!! I had no idea that strike was still going on. I'm glad you and Travis are do it yourselfers so you can stay busy and find some work too. Sounds like you are hanging in there as a family and that is the best you can ask for....except for an agreement with the powers that be. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my son was young he seldom told me he loved me but once he became a Christian that changed. Now he tells me that whenever we talk on the phone and whenever we part. He's that way with his grandmother too. Your son will never grow out of it. That's a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that the strike is taking so much time. But you have a positive attitude. Lots of changes going on for sure. You are sure making the best of the situation.
    I'm sure your son has worries. Once the prep is done he won't feel a thing. It's probably hard telling him that.
    I always heard that boys cuddled more than girls. I think it's true. But all of my grands like to cuddle but one and she is a girl. We are all big huggers and constantly tell each other we love each other. Adult children and little grands.
    I bet you are so glad that you made the move when you did. We are on the market again and hopefully our house will sell this time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling your son will never out grow the "i love you or you're the best" because you have raised him right and he loves his momma.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia