7.23.2014

Window woes, pink eye, and a monsoon...

Sounds like the perfect recipe for finishing up a renovation, right?

I swear this renovation is going to either provide excellent material for my stand up comedy act, or lead me down the dark road of alcoholism.  I'll keep you posted.

So the window installation was yesterday.  Let me preface all of this with the fact that the store manager called me early to let me know how sorry he was for the delays in our windows, and that he was going to make sure we were made happy by Lowes.

Apparently, this is what happy looks like...

They were two hours late and upon unloading the windows I heard a "uh-oh".  One of the windows was two inches too short.  Another window cannot be ordered until the original window is returned to the store.  Then it will be another 2-3 weeks until the new, new window comes in.

The installer broke off the brick ledge outside the upstairs window while getting the old window out.  No problem, a neighbor has extra bricks and I have mortar.  Crises averted.  Yeah, until the installer coordinator calls me from Lowes to let me know that this "repair" will cost us an additional $175, but since we have had so much trouble with them, she will split the cost with us.  My response?   "Like Hell."  That's the abbreviated version of what I told her.   Needless to say, they are covering the entire cost.

I have to sand and repaint all of the window ledges.  I also need to caulk and paint the exterior hardboard where they had to remove it to put the windows in.  Add to that list that the windows need to be caulked and cleaned.

There is a pile of window trash sitting in our living room.  I guess I will be hauling that off to the curb on Monday.

To get the two bathroom windows in, the drywall in between them had to be removed.  New drywall.  Removed.  Now we need to figure out what to do with that area on the wall.

So, in short- was I made happy?  Not so much, Lowes, not so much.

In other news, I woke up with a roaring case of conjunctivitis- or pink eye, as it is commonly known.  I am rocking a swollen pink eye and it burns.  I look like an angry toddler.

Also, rain.  Lots, and lots of rain.  Drought all summer, until the week that windows and floors go in, and then the heavens open up and monsoon season begins.

But you know what?  It's all good.  In the grand scheme of things we are all healthy, we have jobs, we are going to be changing our lifestyle for the better.  I'm excited about that, and even the window debacle cannot get me down.

However, the pink eye might...


6 comments:

  1. so sorry that all the forces are coming toegther for the perfect storm this week. go get some meds from the nearest doc in the box so you can see. thanks for sharing all the ups and downs of the reno. hoping Lowes makes good on their promise to make you happy. crossing everything i have for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday, this will just be fodder for a great story, over wine, in your beautiful, cozy, new home. Hang in there... you are in the home stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same kind of luck with Lowe's when they installed our quartz countertops. They made numerous mistakes in cutting them and told us it was our responsibility to pay for having the mistakes corrected. What?! I'm sure I gave them the same response you did, and they fixed MOST (but not all) of the mistakes at their expense. We had to add filler boards next to the wall and stove. Terrible job!

    On another note, there's a blog post I thought you might be interested in reading. It's written by a woman in England that I follow her for her knitting skills. You'll need to read to the end of her post to see why I referred you there. I hope you don't mind.

    Vickie

    Here's the post:

    http://littlecottonrabbits.typepad.co.uk/my_weblog/2014/07/quiet-time.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to integrate people with learning difficulties and mental health issues into the community through gardening whilst also promoting conservation and allowing people of all abilities to learn and work together.

      Delete
    2. That is perfection! Thank you so much for sharing the link!!

      Delete
  4. I just stumbled upon your blog and absolutely love it! I love your decorating sense, your financial sense, your common sense, and your honesty! I've spent hours going back and reading lots of your older blog posts. I wish I would have found you sooner, but basically went back far enough to read about your downsizing adventure. I can't wait to see the finished project. You guys have made awesome decisions. I love it all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia