2.14.2013

What love looks like to me...

I have had eight surgeries in the 13 years that my husband and I have been together.  I'm pretty sure that if he wanted to make a career change he would be more than qualified as a post-op nurse.

Most people think of Valentines and recall memories of first kisses or first dates.  I think of baths. My fondest memory, and the one that truly makes my heart flutter is the memory of Travis giving me a sponge bath after the birth of our son via c-section.

Weird, I know, but stick with me- this is going somewhere.

I can vividly remember standing in the hospital bathroom, staring into the mirror and feeling the impact of two days of no bathing, post-partum bloating, incision site stretching across my belly, IV still in hand- and not feeling attractive in any way shape or form.  Travis was kneeling down and oh so gently cleaning me with warm soapy water and telling me over and over again how beautiful I was, how much he loved me, how happy he was that we had a son.  In that moment my heart could have burst from the love he showed me.

Somehow through each surgery that followed Travis would take on the task of bathing me when I could not do it for myself.  Always talking to me in the same calm voice- reassuring me that it would all be okay.  His words would be every bit as soothing as the warm water he poured over my body.   He never let me feel embarrassed or that I was somehow a burden to him, and it has been in those baths that I have seen what kind of man I married.  I still feel my heart stretch to it's limits when I think back on those times.

Bathing is such a simple daily thing, but to me it was flowers, chocolate and fancy cards all wrapped up in a white fluffy towel.

Happy Valentines Day.



26 comments:

  1. That is so touching! You guys are such a great couple. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. Let's hope you don't need any more surgeries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel the love in your words. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim- Happy Valentines to you too : )

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I know how you feel! I have the same type of man in my life and love him dearly!!!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you did find a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love him!!!!

    Im happy you have each other....this was beautiful!

    Happy Valentine's Day my friend!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! Cannot wait to see y'all in March :)

      Delete
  7. Oh this post made me cry!!! You are truly blessed with Travis! This is what love is all about! Have a blessed St Valentines day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marissa! Yes, he is one of the good guys ;)

      Delete
  8. The most beautiful Valentine post ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy :) Sometimes you share things and never really know if anyone else "gets" it!

      Delete
  9. Visiting from Edie's - so glad you linked up so I could be blessed by this touching post and the deep love your husband exhibits. Sounds like he's a servant hearted guy who loves through his actions. Beautiful.
    Looking forward to getting to know you a bit-
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is- my love language is "doing" so his actions are so powerful!

      Delete
  10. Thia ia such a beautiful story of love. Thank you so much for sharing it. Your husband sounds like an amazing guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a keeper for sure! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  11. What a way to say "I treasure you." Sounds like amazing love to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful picture of love. Thank you for sharing!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. so beautiful, tricia.
    thank you for sharing and for linking with us.
    you're one of the lucky ones!!!
    xo,
    edie

    ReplyDelete
  14. this tugged at my heart and brought tears to my eyes...what tender love, how good of you to treasure what is deep and abiding over a Valentine trinket. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a meaningful moment to visit again - the pain and the love of it all. I'm so glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! That is a man with a great heart!! You are definitely a blessed woman! I am sure he is just as blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia