1.01.2013

In one word...




Every year I read about the resolutions people make at the beginning of the new year.  I'm going to exercise more, make gourmet lunches for my kids, be a better wife, etc.  I've always thought those to be a bit lofty, wordy, and vague.  

A couple of years ago I decided to make my resolution as one word.  Last year it was "balance".  For the better part of the year I blew it.  Totally tanked, epic fail.  Until the past few months when I finally quit a job that wasn't healthy for me.  I thought it was what I was supposed to be doing with my time and talent, but like most of the things I think are right were really wrong.  G-d is funny that way, huh?  Turns out that I was way off the mark as to where my time and talents belonged.  Instead of a classroom, they belonged in a workshop covered in sanding dust and paint, creating and designing, taking old things and making them beautiful again.

In the past few months I have mastered the art of "balance".  Family first, being a better wife, being more present for my kids, spending more time with my mom and dad, taking care of my health issues, and being creative. The result is that I have found my happy.

This year's word is "best".  I want to be the best version of myself.  I am optimistic that 2013 will bring just that.  

What one word resolution would you make?


The Lettered Cottage

7 comments:

  1. Best! I love it! Mine is "Finding Joy in the Ordinary." One word was way too hard for me! LOL!

    Happy day!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that one. Sometimes the ordinary is extraordinary ; o )

      Delete
  2. Probably fun! I work too much and don't take time to just enjoy things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun is a good one! Gotta loosen up and let go every once in a while. You live in VEGAS!!

      Delete
  3. Last year our word of the year was simplify. We went through stuff we simplified schedules etc, this year our word is Consitency we are going to work on being more consistant with our schedules, with meal planning, school work, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that! Simplify is such a great word to live by....also consistency. We joke that living in our cottage we run on senior citizen time...meals at the same time every day and in bed by nine!

      Delete
  4. The Brad Paisley quote reminded me of Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten". Part of the lyric that I love:
    Live your life with arms wide open
    Today is where your book begins
    The rest is still unwritten

    Love that you have found your balance. I think that is the one I will choose for this year. And DECLUTTER!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia