2.14.2010

This, that & Everything else...



Oh my. It's been a while since I posted. What with 14 hour school days, the house being on the market, kids running here and there, and an upcoming surgery...well, I'm spent.

I found out that I am in need of another eye surgery. I wear prisms in my glasses to help make my permanent double vision look like single vision. Turns out that anything over 10 diopters of prism is a surgical candidate. I am 21 diopters. Hi. Totally makes you want to sit in the passenger seat of my car, doesn't it? The plan is to do it in June as soon as school lets out. It's a gory, bloody surgery that takes about 5-6 hours to complete. No, not laser- think re tractors, scalpel, muscle cuts and ties. Ew.

The house is sold. Sort of. The woman who wants it is coming from a nasty divorce and a million dollar home on the water. Apparently the terms of the divorce require Mr.Ex to purchase her another home. So instead of the traditional route to purchase, she is having to go though a high-priced divorce attorney in Houston. Which means that we ought to be getting a contract sometime next year. Meanwhile, the house is still showing. We are just ready to go- or stay. I don't like up in the air-ness in my life. I am the girl with a plan. I need a plan.

I was nominated for teacher of the year by another teacher at my school. I have a snowball's chance in Hades of getting it, but really the nomination letter that was written was award enough. I had tears in my eyes when I read it. Wow.

I think I may have found a corporate sponsor as well as some small business sponsors to help defer the cost of my growing after-school book club. We are up to 15 kids and I purchase most of the books we read. Some of my kids cannot afford it, and I cannot turn them away. Amazon loves me, and that's all I will say about that : )

We are gearing up for our annual trek to Florida for Spring Break. I cannot wait to settle into our beach house and enjoy the sand, sun, lazy mornings, reading time, family, laughter, game nights & great food. It's probably one of my favourite weeks of the year. We are planning on taking off the Friday before so that we can hit a bookstore in Fairhope on the way. It might be a bit chilly this year- but honestly, that is my favourite Florida weather. Pedis & Flip-Flops here I come!

The industrial cart arrived. Travis lightly sanded the top and applied quiet a bit of wood conditioner to it. We left the wheels alone- rust and all. It's perfect and I love the look. We also got back the old Royal type-writer that Travis had found on the side of the road way back when. He had given it to his parents who gave it back to us last week. I quick typed up a letter on the computer and put it in the old Royal. Love it.

Kids are doing well. Growing, thriving, passing classes. Sara will be turning 18 in April, so we are getting all of our ducks in a row for our court date to establish guardianship over her. We are having to pay to have her served with legal papers. Ridiculous, I know. Here we are saying she is not capable of taking care of herself, but let's serve her with legal documents. Think of it as a $150 colouring book.

Sorry I have been so MIA...a huge thank you to my lovely cousin, Carolyn for picking up the slack and providing you with some decorating eye-candy as well as the fabulous pillow give away. Yes, I ordered my own pillow. "True Love 7.1.2000", ten years this summer. I definitely have a keeper this time.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating, I was beginning to think I might need to call you and make sure you're OK. Glad it's just The Busy, as usual.

    Surgery = *shudder*

    Book club sponsorship = *crosses fingers*

    Vacation = *squeal*

    Guardianship & legal papers = Yikes.

    Love you, girl. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your True Love.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jammie J- Same to you, I have been meaning to call you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hello Beautiful Table! It looks amazing!
    Congrats on the nomination & the possible sponsorship! You ARE teacher of the year no matter what the official outcome is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious!
    You are crazy busy!

    1. I love the table!

    2. Your description of surgery made me vomit a little. I'll come over and read to you though!

    3. Yay for book club sponsors!

    4. You are the teacher of the century! And, I am so proud of you! So much has changed since we first met... way back when.

    5. Who's smart idea was it to serve Sara legal papers?! Really?! I did not know that the court system did such a thing. She is blessed to have you for a mom.
    I can not believe she will be 18!!! How the heck did that happen?!

    6. You are beautiful, and I love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florida for Spring Break? But really, leave hubs at home and just bring that skimpy bikini.
    (oh, sorry, OK, take the family instead)
    Nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the table. That would look great in my house, if you ever get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the table but I'm IN love with the typewriter!

    Totally Teacher of the Year material here!

    Ahhhh... the beach.

    Good luck with your corporate sponsor.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping in. I appreciate all of your lovely comments...Tricia